Working on behalf of a Local Authority, Aatom Recruitment has an opportunity for a Group Leader – Mechanical Team on a 2 month’s contract with a possibility of an extension.
The Group Leader of the Mechanical Team has overall responsibility for a team of up to 15 members of staff carrying out mechanical work . The role is to ensure the council complies with its statutory requirements for maintaining mechanical engineering plant. The work undertaken by the team includes scoping up and managing communal heating retrofit installations , low carbon mechanical installations, specification writing, designing mechanical installations, procuring work, contract and project management to ensure engineering projects are delivered on time and to budget. The Mechanical Group Leader role also includes responsibility for the renewal of ventilation systems, water tanks communal risers and other plant.
The role also includes the overall responsibility for the day to day maintenance and responsive repairs of the council’s communal heating services which provides heating and hot water to approximately 4700 homes.
The role includes a requirement for multidisciplinary working and an ability to maintain excellent interpersonal and communications skills to ensure projects and programmes are effectively delivered to protect our residents and the homes within which they live. This may also include assisting the team to undertake works required to ensure project deadlines are achieved.
The post holder will interact, liaise, and work with colleagues from within the team and the wider Capital Programme Delivery team along with other internal and external stakeholders to ensure the best possible outcomes are achieved.
Key requirements of the role include an absolute commitment to supporting the team and Islington Council’s objectives, mission statement, business plans and service delivery plans with an ability to lead by example. The post holder may also be required to stand in for the Technical Services Manager from time to time.
1. Take responsibility for the overall management and leadership of the section which undertakes the specification and delivery of technical projects and responsibility for mechanical engineers and mechanical inspectors and other technical staff for the purposes of performance management, absence management, discipline, grievance, change and professional development of staff within the team.
2. Oversee and take responsibility for the project management and delivery of all mechanical engineering schemes to the value of circa £15m per annum. This may include directly assisting on works for which the section is responsible for. It will include a need to overcome challenges which could pose a risk to the delivery process and a requirement to solve technical and contractual challenges encountered by staff during the procurement and delivery process.
3. The post holder will be required to consider project options using knowledge experience and commercial understanding to determine the best course of action to adopt.
4. Responsibility for coordinating the effective delivery of projects within the section using established programme management principles and practices.
5. Contribute to the overall effective and efficient delivery of the wider Cyclical Improvement Programme.
Qualified as a Chartered Engineer or full member of the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers.
To get more information about this role and how to apply please contact Anisha.